The following Checklist/Guide will explain the steps which required to upgrade an existing SCCM 2012 SP1 Stand-Alone Primary site to SCCM 2012 R2.
1. First of all you must Verify that all your sites run SCCM 2012 SP1
2. Uninstall the existing version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) 8.0
To uninstall the tool you can use Program and Features Wizard in Control panel.
Note: If you have other servers with the SMS Provider installed, you also need to uninstall Windows ADK 8.0 on these servers
3. Install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) 8.1 for Windows 8.1.
You can Download Windows ADK 8.1 using the below link.
4. Review the site and hierarchy status.
5. Install all critical updates available from Microsoft Updates on all relevant servers.
6. Back up the site database.
7. Disable all scheduled site maintenance tasks that might run during the R2 upgrade.
8. Run Setup Prerequisite Checker, to verify that the site server is ready to upgrade.
In Windows Explorer, browse to <ConfigMgrInstallationMedia>\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64 or <ConfigMgrInstallationPath>\BIN\X64> Then You will find the Prereqchk.exe
9. Download the prerequisite files and redistributable files for SCCM 2012 R2 by running setupdl.exe.
10. Test the database upgrade process on a copy of the most recent site database backup.
More information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8b6ff5c8-3c84-49fb-8bc7-930bed865de5#BKMK_TestSiteDBUpgrade
11. Restart the site server (to ensure that there are no pending restarts).
12. Install the SCCM 2012 R2 Upgrade on the Primary Site Server as follows.
Step i – Select Install Option
Step ii – Click Next Button on the Before You Begin Page
Step iii – Upgrade option will be the default installation setting and Click Next to Continue
Step iv – Enter the product Key and Click Next
Step v – Accept the License Agreement and Click Next
Step vi – Select and Accept all Three License Agreements and Click Next
Vii – Browse and give the path of the downloaded files which you completed on Step 9 and then Click Next
Viii- Click Next on both Language selection windows.
ix – Click Next to start the Upgrade process.
13. Upgrade the stand-alone Configuration Manager Consoles.
14. Reconfigure the database maintenance tasks you might have disabled prior to the upgrade.
15. Upgrade clients.
R2 Client Version = 5.00.7958.1000
SP1 Client Version = 5.00.7804.1000
You can use any method you prefer for Client upgrade.
You can try Automatic Client Upgrade feature in SCCM Console if you Like. J
To enable the Automatic Client Upgrade option do the following as indicates in screens.
Go to Administration> Select Sites > Select Hierarchy Settings
Then Enable the Upgrade the Client Automatically when New Client Updates are available as follows.
16. Finally make sure to apply Hotfix which has been released to solve the two known R2 issues
1. WDS crashing
2. Slow downloads while in Windows PE
You can Click Here to Download the Hotfix.